The Power in the Present


“There is a moment, a cusp, when the sum of gathered experience is worn down by the details of living. We are never so wise as when we live in this moment.” 

Present Moment Awareness. This is a concept I have been thinking about regularly for months. However, I have never been more aware of present moments than in the past week since I announced my resignation in a leap of faith. This post will be short tonight, but it is meant to follow up for all those wonderful people who have reached out, wanting to see where this path leads. If my journey can keep inspiring others, I know it will be used well. The truth is that some people would blow past any one of these moments. For me, they are clearly meant to illustrate the promise in the leap.

Private Affirmations of Faith:
After my post was out, I had several people private message me, and the most standout were from those who stated that my leap of faith specifically made them think about their own walk. Each one noted that this life message impacted them to reflect upon how much they trust (or don't trust). For me, I know this is part of the reason I was to leap without knowing. To inspire and teach others with my trust. 

"As long as we have breath in our lungs, the sun will still #rise."--Moxie Matters Tour
On Tuesday, my friend and I faced treacherous driving conditions to be present in space with Nichole Norderman and Jen Hatmaker. My original plan for resignation was March 1st. So, when I had booked tickets to see these two women, there was no way I would have known that the resignation would come the night before. Once I had known, there was no way I was giving up my chance to be present with these two who had been so influential in my transformation. So, when Jen's last words included #RISE, my heart soared through the roof. Not a coincidence. I just stepped out with great Moxie!



Podcast Release: 
Back in September, I recorded a vulnerable podcast with Danny Bauer on Better Leaders Better Schools. While I knew at the time it was to come out in February, it wasn't until the wheels had been set that I learned it was coming out that Wednesday. Affirming for me was when I noted that my message was supposed to be multiplying. This is something that God has spoken to me frequently. I also reference how we focus too much on what is next in society and how life is too short and it shouldn't be so complicated. Most dearly, I reference my dad as a leader who has never needed a title to be a leader. In addition, his life mantra "We may not be rich, but we are rich in love." came through, which is how I have been framing our lack of known income in coming days. It was keenly important for me to hear all these words back after months and not remembering what I had said. They were a gift. 

The Road Not Taken
On Thursday, one of our substitutes gifted me with a handcrafted and beautiful creation with what happens to be one of my most favorite poems. Seeing it, I instantly believed he had seen my resignation announcement. At the end of the day, I gave him a big hug and thanked him profusely. As our interaction revealed, he had made it in honor of publishing a book, and he was completely flabbergasted when I mentioned leaving. As it turns out, he had not realized that I was really about to embark upon the road less traveled by. Again, not a coincidence. 


Final thoughts: I knew the hardest part was going to be engaging with the people I am leaving, especially the students. One noted that I looked way too young to retire because I look like I am 27. (Forever will this young one be my favorite!) Another student vulnerably noted in my office that I am the best principal and at least 50% of students will miss me. Hey, I laughed the loudest I have in a long time, which is saying something. The truth is that most students who engaged me the first chance they had were those on the fringe.While it pains me to consider that they might miss me, it is a sign to me that my work has been good. That these students know to their core how much I deeply care for them. For me, these interactions were a perfect illustration of how important it will be to stick to my promises of bringing the light every day. Most importantly, to live each day with present moment awareness and embrace each opportunity to live in these spaces with those who need it the most. I can assure you that zero energy has been spent worrying about what is next when I have been given the gift of focusing on the present. The rest will take care of itself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#OneWord2019-Time to Slay Some Giants--SLAY

Stepping Away in Order to Jump Back In

Scrubbing the Tarnish to Reveal the Shine